Universal Scrolling Frames for InDesign

Universal Scrolling Frames From InDesign to HTML and EPUB

Adobe InDesign is full of wonderful interactive capabilities. The DPS Overlays panel adds several additional options, such as scrolling frames.

While this extra interactivity is supported by DPS, as well as our tool—in5 (InDesign to HTML5)—it’s not supported by InDesign’s native export formats: ePUB, HTML, and Publish Online.

In looking for ways for add this interactivity for all formats, I heard from many people that scrolling frames were a high priority.

I worked with Chad Chelius to refine the CSS that would support scrolling frames in ePUB and Publish Online. Chad wrote up how to manually insert this code on epubsecrets.

Then I went one step further and created a simple panel that will let you control scrolling with zero coding.

animated demo of the panel

The scrolling frame will work in ePUB (Fixed Layout and Reflowable), HTML, DPS, Publish Online, and in5. Thus I’ve dubbed it Universal Scrolling Frames.

Compatibility

The panel works with InDesign CC or newer.

Download

The Universal Scrolling Frames extension is free when you sign up for our newsletter.

Get updates from Ajar Productions

Splittext id 400px

Sign up today and get the InDesign Split Text premium extension for free!

Unsubscribe at any time. Powered by ConvertKit
Justin | extensions,HTML5,InDesign,interaction,software | Tuesday, December 8th, 2015

137 thoughts on “Universal Scrolling Frames for InDesign”

1. jorge says:

I installed the Univ Scr Fr and worked well only the first test in one frame… it doesn’ work anymore… what happpened?

1. Justin says:

Hi Jorge,
      Looks like you were able to get things working after emailing with us. 🙂

2. Debra says:

Hi there! I installed the file and it kept saying that it wouldn’t work with my version of indesign (cs6) so I downloaded the new extension manager for cs6 and it still doesn’t work. It still says it is looking for Indesign 9.0 or greater.

1. Justin says:

The Universal Scrolling Frames panel is only supported for CC versions of InDesign.

3. Marcello says:

Hi Justin, how do I make the scrolling horizontal, because once exported to HTML5 it doesn’t scroll unless I use the touch pad but with a scroll wheel on the mouse nothing. could you please let me know, thanks.

1. Justin says:

How are you outputting?

If you’re using Publish Online, you can’t control the scroll wheel.

If you’re using in5, I could provide you with some custom code to attach.

4. Adam says:

Will this plug in be updated for Indesign CC v 15.0?

1. Justin says:

I will be releasing an updated installer soon. In the meantime, you can use the zxp file in the assets folder and this 3rd-party installer: http://zxpinstaller.com

1. Adam says:

Wonderful thank you

5. Maria says:

Hi, I have such a big problem, I have the latest version of InDesign, but when I installe the extension it tells me that there is not a compatible version of InDesing creative cloud, I have tried to download the EM but it doesn’t work neither. So I don’t really know what to do.

1. Justin says:

Just sent out an updated installer. Please check your email.

6. Marcello De Cesare says:

1. Justin says:

Just sent out an updated installer. Please check your email.

7. Annie Shaw says:

Hi there, I have followed all of the instructions and the program has installed without problems. However, my document doesn’t scroll in the epub. Could you please let me know how I can go about fixing this?

1. Justin says:

Hit the contact link above and send us your InDesign file. We’ll take a look. 🙂

8. Volkens says:

Hi, auto update of Indesign(huge pain)scrolling frame doesn’t work, tried to re-download but there is nothing online…are you working on a new version?

1. Justin says:

I sent out an email recently with an update. You can use the download link in your original confirmation email. It will point to the latest version, which includes a 2020 installer.

9. N says:

How long does it take to receive the extension? I signed up yesterday. Thank you

1. Justin says:

It should arrive immediately. Check your spam/bulk folder.

10. Steve Barnier says:

This doesn’t seem to work when the InDesign file is exported with “Export HTML5 with in5” and output as “Web”. No scrolling and no scroll bar. Is this a limitation or am I doing something wrong?

11. Doug says:

Hi Justin,

First off, love this scrolling frame script. It’s great 🙂

I’m using it for a simple ePub document with a really long scrolling image. Everything is working perfectly when I look at it in the Books app except it isn’t exporting the full length of the image. Is there a way to solve this?

Thanks,