One challenge with fonts on the web (aside from font licensing) is that different browsers support different formats for embedding. There are wonderful services like the FontSquirrel Web Font Generator that will generate all the different file formats from a single font file.
The latest version of in5 (InDesign to HTML5) now automatically searches for alternate font formats in the folder of the original font file as well as in the Document fonts folder (if available with the .indd file).
in5 now supports the following formats as alternates when rendering text as HTML with Local Embedding: eot, woff, svg, otf, and ttf. When any of the these alternates are found (with the same name as the primary font file, but a different extension), in5 grabs a copy of the file, includes it in the output, and automatically generates the @font-face CSS for every format that can be found. The primary font used with InDesign can be an otf or ttf file.
Here’s the complete change log for version 2.0.5:
- Added capability to embed local fonts from the Document fonts folder.
- Added support for alternate fonts (eot, woff, svg, otf, and ttf).
- Added support for lightbox links in SVG text.
- Added Image Quality control support for items within a Group that has Object Export Settings applied at the Group level.
- Added Image Quality control support for Pan and Zoom Overlay.
- Improved leading for single-line text frames.
- Improved positioning of images with drop shadows applied.
- Improved automatic keyword generation.
- Removed the load indicator for multi-page export options (Baker and Liquid State Publishing System).
- Fixed missing SVG text for textframes that only contained a hyperlink.
- Fixed On Page Click animation event.
- Fixed issue with images rendered inside of scrolling frames.
- Fixed issue with missing content in MSO object states.
- Fixed miscellaneous crashing bug related to certain text frames.
- Fixed leading/line-height issue for subscript and superscript when rendering text as HTML.
- Fixed issue with the Application Cache and file names with spaces.
- Fixed issue with long lines of text related to noBreak set to passthrough with style.
Get updates from Ajar Productions
Sign up today and get the InDesign Split Text premium extension for free!