The banner above this text was made with Adobe InDesign.
Yes, InDesign. The page layout tool.
InDesign Hidden Gems
While InDesign is known for print layout, it also has extensive interactive capabilities, including:
- An Easy-to-use Animation Panel
- A Timing Panel to create sequenced animation
- The ability to create different Object States that change with interaction
- Interactive actions for Buttons and Form Elements
Just because InDesign was originally conceived as a page layout tool, doesn’t mean you have to create things that look like books.
In this article, I’ll show you how use InDesign’s interactive features and the in5 HTML5 export to create a web banner.
This tutorial will show you how to add a simple password to your app or Web App created with InDesign and in5 (InDesign to HTML5).
The Baker Framework is pre-built, open source library for Xcode. The framework allows you to easily convert HTML and publish it to native iOS (iPad and iPhone) devices as a standalone app or as Apple Newsstand issues.
To build an app with Baker, you essentially drop your HTML into the books directory within the Baker project, update a few variables in Xcode, and you’re ready to publish.
It’s well-documented that you can create multi-issue app to work with Apple’s Newsstand app (i.e., publishing a new issue each month). What is less well known, however, is that you can publish a multi-issue standalone app.
To create this “catalog” page, all you have to do is drop multiple folders in the books directory.
You now have a multi-issue app!
Several in5 (InDesign to HTML5) users have asked about creating long chapters within their Baker Framework ebooks, so I put together the following video to demonstrate how this can be accomplished using InDesign and in5.
The technique in the video is enhanced by some additional features that have been added to a recent update to in5.
Baker-specific enhancements for in5 v2.1.3
- Vertically scrolling (tall) pages within Baker now return to the top automatically when leaving the page.
- Added script to merge multiple pages into a vertically scrolling (tall) page.
- Switched on zoomable by default in book.json file for HPUB.
- Removed viewport meta tag from HPUB thumbnail page.
The Baker Framework is a free code library that allows you to publish beautiful, interactive books (or magazine issues) to the iPad and iPhone.
To start creating ebooks from InDesign today, you can
- Download the framework and
- Get a free copy of in5 >>
My latest Lynda.com course is now available. Here are more details on the course, or you can jump right to the course page.