Split Text Extension for InDesign

Justin | design,extensions,InDesign | Thursday, September 25th, 2014

This extension is useful if you’d like to break apart text in order to quickly create buttons, animated sequences, or simply separate blocks of text that can be individually positioned.

Before and After using Split Text

This extension can split text into separate text frames by:

• Paragraphs
  • Columns
  • Words
  • Characters (new to v1.1)
  • Lines
  • Manual Line Breaks
  • Text Styling (new to v1.1)
  • Tabs
  • Custom Text
  • or even Custom Grep Expressions

Split Text automatically remembers the last settings used and can be undone in a single step.

Download

Sign-up for our newsletter and receive this premium extension for free.

Looking for the reverse? Check out Merge TextFrames.

Get updates from Ajar Productions

Splittext_id_400px

Sign up today and get the InDesign Split Text premium extension for free!

Unsubscribe at any time. Powered by ConvertKit

Related Articles

21 thoughts on “Split Text Extension for InDesign”

1. Gus says:

Just tried to install Split_Text_CC.zxp but I get the error: “This extension can not be installed, it requires Indesign version 6 or greater”. Any ideas why? I do have Indesign CC installed.

2. Justin says:

Does InDesign appear in the left menu of Extension Manager CC? If not, a reinstall of either EM or InDesign should fix it.

1. Gus says:

Thanks for replying. Sadly it doesn’t show on the left menu of EM. I have reinstalled both EM and ID to no avail. Anything else to try?

1. Justin says:

Hi Gus,
        If a reinstall doesn’t work, you should contact Adobe support or post a question on the forum.

2. Gus says:

Yep, that’s what I did. Waiting for a kind soul to respond. If I find an answer I’ll post it here for others with similar issue. Cheers.

3. Justin says:

Thanks, Gus! That will be much appreciated. I know several people have been experiencing this issue with Extension Manager lately.

3. Gus says:

I was finally able to make it work! I followed the advice from this thread on the Adobe forums: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1235641. Basically, if you are on Windows, you need to delete the ExMan.db file. It wasn’t easy though. It wouldn’t let me delete it saying that “the folder or file is open in another program”. I was able to find out the program was Core Sync (32 bit). I opened the Task Manager and ended the task. Then I could delete ExMan.db and restart EM. It took a while but finally it loaded with all the extensions. Now, it is not perfect because when I open EM within Indesign it shows an update is available (even though I have installed the latest). I just ignore the message and from the flyout menu choose Launch EM. I must say that on my Mac I have no trouble with EM. Go figure.

1. Justin says:

Thanks for document this, Gus! Sounds frustrating. ๐Ÿ™

I’ll be sure to share with anyone experiencing this issue.

4. hong says:

I want to it~~!

5. Justin says:

Hi Hong,
    Sign up for our newsletter using the link above and you can download the extension immediately. ๐Ÿ˜‰

6. Thank you, it works, yay!
    InDesign CS6, mac 10.11.1 El Capitan.

7. Kemcy Best says:

Why does it add some line breaks when I choose “paragraph” or “manual line break”?

1. Justin says:

Hi Kemcy,
      I’m not sure. If you want to send me a 1-page test file, I’d be happy to take a look. The email address is “support” at this domain.

2. Justin says:

Hi Kemcy,

I think this was the same error as Peter’s (below) and should be resolved by the 1.2.1 update.

8. Peter says:

Downloaded this today. I am running CC 2014 but I get a javascript error when running the script.

Error Number:21
    Error String: null is not an object
    Engine: main
    File: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CC 2014\Scripts\Scripts Panel\Ajar Productions\SplitText.jsxbin
    Line: 71

1. Justin says:

Hmm…looking at the source code that seems like an odd line for that error to occur.

Have you tried restarting InDesign?

2. Justin says:

The issue was related to the items being off the page. Version 1.2.1 fixes that issue.

You can use the original email link to download the newest version and install it over the previous version.

1. Peter says:

Bingo! I was testing it on the pasteboard.

Very cool! Thank you.

9. Peter Amirault says:

I’m getting the following error message when trying to run this script in 2017CC: Error Number: -2714
    Error String: Expected “,” or “}” but found identifier.
    Engine: Default
    File: /Applications/Adobe InDesign CC 2017/Scripts/Scripts Panel/Samples/Applescript/SplitStory.applescript

1. Justin says:

Hi Peter,
      The file listed in the error is a sample script that comes with InDesign, not the Split Text extension that I’ve written.